Thursday, March 23, 2006

Transamerica-Go See This Film

Ordinarily, I post my film reviews once a month but this one couldn’t wait till next month and deserved more than just a squib in a monthly round-up. This is without a doubt the best film I’ve seen this year and last night I saw it again and it just gets better with each viewing. This beautifully crafted film stars Felicity Huffman (previously until I saw this film my least fave Desp H. Wife) in a spectacular performance as, ironically named, transsexual, Bree. Who is just biding her time for the operation that will make her a woman. When into her oddly ordered life drops her son (played brilliantly by young cutie Kevin Zegers) a son Bree never knew existed until he’s arrested in New York. What follows is a moving and funny road trip which takes these two characters on a journey across America and more importantly on a journey of discovery. Bree’s line “My body may be a work-in-progress, but there is nothing wrong with my soul” is quite fitting as this is that rarity of things a US movie with real heart and soul with characters that are strange but genuinely likeable. Part of the credit needs to go to the fantastic script but it is Huffman’s dazzling performance that is at the heart of this films beauty. Quite rightly she won the Golden Globe for best actress and criminally she was robbed of the Oscar by that huge chinned munchkin Wreath Woodenspoon.
The film goes on general release tomorrow in the UK. If you see only one film this year make it this one.

http://www.transamerica-movie.com/

No comments: